The Canon Pixma MG8120 comes with a 3.5” LED display that enables a user to view, edit, and select images for printing without a computer by connecting directly to a camera. In addition for users of Canon’s EOS Digital SLR or PowerShot cameras, it has the ability to turn paused HD movie frames into prints with its Full HD Movie Print feature.
It has a maximum color resolution of 9600×2400 dots per inch, or 600×600 dpi in black-and-white. It uses a six-color ink system that consists of five color inks and a gray ink-tank. Aside from enabling the creation of high-quality photographic prints, it also lets users swap out individual inks as they run out rather than replacing the entire batch if one color runs out. It has the ability to print a borderless 4×6” photo in roughly 20 seconds, and can handle photos in sizes ranging from 4×6” to 8.5×11” as well as #10 envelopes.
A key asset for photographers is the Auto Photo Fix II feature that will automatically categorize images into one of five basic types: Portrait, Scenery, Night Scenery, Snapshot with Scenery, and Snapshot with Night Scenery. It then applies a multi-zonal exposure correction technique that will help enhance areas that are backlit and underexposed by automatically brightening them and correcting color cast in the photos.
Additional printing features include wireless printing, a feature for calendar print, grayscale printing, smartphone photo printing, and photo direct printing from a variety of memory cards. It supports a range of papers ranging from plain paper to High Gloss, Glossy, Semi-Gloss, and Matte.
Scanning and Copier
The Canon Pixma MG8120 operates as a flatbed scanner and can handle documents as large as 8.5×11.7”. Several features are designed to take the pain out of scanning. These include Auto Document Fix that has automatic area-by-area data correction. This feature has the ability to darken documents to provide sharp contrast with the text and also enables true color and tone reproductions from photo scans. The scan function also includes Auto Scan Mode that has the ability to recognize and the saves the scan with what it calculates as the proper settings for that type of scan.
Aside from the copying features already mentioned above, the device can also reduce and enlarge from 25% to 400%, Zoom, Image Repeat, Manual Color Adjustment, multiple copy from 1-99 pages, Photo Reprint and trim copy.
The printer’s built-in Wi-Fi capabilities can eliminate the need for cables between it and Wi-Fi enabled computer in a house or office, or it can be connected via a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable. In addition it has built-in Ethernet so that it can be connected to a home or office LAN.
The printer also offers a range of features for users that do not wish to use a computer in getting their images or pages printed. It accepts over a dozen different memory cards and then can display the images on its LCD display enabling a user to easily select the appropriate items to print. There is a great deal of support for remote printing from cameras and other devices. Its Smartphone Printing feature supports a range of Android, iPhone and iPod Touch devices and enables wireless printing from them. It also supports PictBridge so that a user can print from a DV camcorder, digital camera or smartphone and for fans of Bluetooth it has an optional BU-3- wireless Bluetooth unit available.
Software and Support
The printer supports Microsoft’s Windows 7 and Vista operating systems as well as Apple’s MacOS X v10.4.11 and beyond. It ships with a range of software and drivers including PIXMA MG8120 Printer Driver, Easy-PhotoPrint EX, Easy-PhotoPrint Pro, Easy-WebPrintEX for Windows systems only, Full HD Movie Print and others. The 23.6 lb device comes with a one year limited warranty that includes one-year toll-free technical phone support.
Conclusion and Recommendation
The Canon Pixma MG8120 has a list of features that should meet a huge range of users needs, from color printing to copy
Canon PIXMA MG8120 Driver & Software Specs
- Print Speed (up to): 4 x 6 Borderless Photo: Approx. 20 seconds, Black:ESAT Approx. 12.5 ipm, Color:ESAT Approx. 9.3 ipm
- Number of Nozzles; Color: 5,632 / Black: 512 / Total: 6,144
- Print Resolution (Up to); Color:Up to 9600 x 2400 dpi, Black:Up to 600 x 600 dpi
- Paper Sizes: 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, Letter, Legal, U.S. #10 Envelopes
- Output Tray Capacity: Auto Sheet Feeder: 150 Sheets Cassette: 150 Sheets
- Copy Speed (up to): FCOT(Color) Approx. 15 seconds, Reduction / Enlargement: 25% – 400%
- Scanner Type: Flatbed, Scanning Element: Charged-Coupled Device (CCD), Max. Resolutions; Optical:4800 x 9600 dpi (Film), Interpolated:19,200 x 19,200 dpi
- Software Included: Setup Software & User’s Guide CD-ROM PIXMA MG8120 Printer Driver Easy-PhotoPrint EX Easy-PhotoPrint Pro, Easy-WebPrint EX (Windows only), Full HD Movie Print, MP Navigator EX Solution Menu
- Dimension (W x D x H): 18.5 W x 15.5D x 7.9 H, Weight: 23.6 lbs
Canon PIXMA MG8120 Operating System Compatibility:
Windows 7 / Windows 7 (x64) / Windows 8 / Windows 8 (x64) / Windows 8.1 / Windows 8.1 (x64) / Windows 10 / Windows 10 (x64) / Windows Vista / Windows Vista (x64) / Windows XP / Mac OS X v10.11 / Mac OS X v10.10 /Mac OS X v10.9 / Mac OS X v10.8 / Mac OS X v10.7 / Mac OS X v10.6 / Linux
MG8120 series MP Driver For Windows XP (64-bit) 19 MB~~~>>> Download
MG8120 series MP Driver (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP) 30 MB ~~~>>>Download
MG8120 series XPS Printer Driver (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64) 23 MB~~~>>> Download
MG8120 series Mini Master Setup (OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8) 39 MB~~~>>> Download
MG8120 series CUPS Printer Driver (OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/Mac OS X 10.7) 17 MB~~~>>> Download
ICA Driver For Mac OS X 10.6 8.6 MB~~~>>> Download
MG8120 series CUPS Printer Driver (OS X 10.5/10.6) 18 MB~~~>>> Download
Printer Driver for Mac OSX (OS X 10.4/10.5) 7.8 MB~~~>>> Download
MG8120 series Scanner Driver (OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7/10.6/Mac OS X 10.5) 13 MB~~~>>> Download
ICA Driver (OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/Mac OS X 10.7) 7.1 MB~~~>>> Download
Canon IJ Network Tool for Intel Mac (OS X 10.5/10.6) 5.3 MB~~~>>> Download
Canon IJ Network Tool for Power PC (OS X 10.4/10.5) 4.8 MB~~~>>> Download
Linux IJ Scanner Driver 3.7 MB~~~>>> Download
Linux IJ Printer Driver 7.7 MB~~~>>> Download
Linux IJ scanner driver source file 3.7 MB~~~>>> Download
Linux IJ printer driver source file 9.1 MB ~~~>>>Download
Guide for Quick Menu (Mac) 1.1 MB~~~>>> Download
Guide for Quick Menu (Windows) 1.1 MB~~~>>> Download
Guide for My Image Garden (Windows) 11 MB~~~>>> Download
Guide for My Image Garden (Mac) 11 MB~~~>>> Download
On-Screen Manual for Windows (Multilanguage) 53 MB~~~>>> Download
On-Screen Manual for Macintosh (Multilanguage) 38 MB~~~>>> Download
Looking for the steps for installation of the driver and Software Canon PIXMA MG8120 ? Here we go.
Steps by Step to Install Canon PIXMA MG8120
Method 1: Installing Canon PIXMA MG8120 by Downloading the Software for Free
For the first method, you will need to try installing the software for your PIXMA MG8120 without using the automatic wizard that you usually get from the CD.
The things that you need are:
- The first of all, you will need the setup file for the driver and software that you will need to install Canon PIXMA MG8120 .If you do not have the file that you need, then you need to download it first from the official website of Canon.
- The second thing that you need is the USB cable that can connect your printer to the computer or laptop where the software will be installed. Make sure it is compatible, or you can use the cable from the package when you buy the printer.
If you already have all of those requirements above, then you just need to install Canon PIXMA MG8120 the setup file that you already have.
- The first thing that you need to do is turning on the laptop or computer where the software will be installed and your PIXMA MG8120.
- Before you do anything, you need to make sure that the USB cable is unplugged. That is because you will need to plug the USB cable later on, but not now.
- The next thing that you need to do is downloading the necessary setup file for your Canon PIXMA MG8120 run the file to start the installation program. You just need to follow all of the simple instructions when the installation program starts.
- After the installation is finished, you will be prompted to plug in the USB cable and you should do that. Soon after that, the program will automatically check on the USB cable connection automatically. After you plug in the cable, the installation will continue to the further process.
- You just need to follow the later instructions to finish the whole installation process.
- When all of the processes are finished, then the installation is finished too and you can start using your Canon MG8120 for printing.
Method 2: Installing PIXMA MG8120 Using Manual Driver Installation
If you want to install the printer using the manual installation, then you will need to pick the “Add a Printer” option that you can find on the setting or control panel of your computer. This is something that you can always have in your computer.
The things that you need are:
- You need to firstly have the driver setup for Canon PIXMA MG8120 or the software setup to install the printer. You can find the specific link on the official website of Canon.
- The next thing that you need is the printer USB cable that will connect the printer to the computer or laptop.
- The first thing that you need to do is turning on the computer or laptop where you will install the software and the PIXMA MG8120 printer.
- After that, you need to connect the USB cable from the printer to the computer.
- Once the cable has been connected, you will need to start extracting the data and setup file that you have downloaded for PIXMA MG8120 .
- If you are running on Windows 7 or Vista for the operating system, then you will need to go to Control Panel and search for View Devices and Printer. For those who are running their computer on XP operating system, you need to find Fax and Printer options on Control Panel.
- Once you have found the main option, you will need to pick Add a Printer to start the installation.
- Before you start the installation process, you will need to lead the program to the extracted data file that the installation software needs. Therefore, take the tab to the location where you extracted the setup file earlier.
- After waiting for some time, you will notice that the printer has been installed on your computer and you are ready to use the PIXMA MG8120 printer.
Method 3: Canon MG8120 Software Installation Using Automatic Wizard
Simple steps of installing Canon PIXMA MG8120 using the automatic wizard (using CD)
The things that you need are:
- First of all, you will need to have the CD/DVD drive to be installed on your computer. Most computers have this kind of device.
- The second thing that you need is the software CD for installing Canon PIXMA MG8110 printer. The CD is usually included on the bundle package when you buy the printer.
- The third thing that you need is the USB cable that will connect PIXMA MG8120 to the computer when you are installing the printer.
Follow these simple steps for installing your Canon PIXMA MG8120 using the CD or automatic wizard.
- The first thing that you need to do is turning on the computer and your Canon PIXMA MG8110 printer. Make sure you do not forget those things.
- You should not connect the USB cable from PIXMA MG8120 to the computer now. That is because you will be prompted to do that later on.
- The next thing that you need to do is inserting the installation CD to your CD/DVD drive. After that, the CD will run automatically and start the automatic wizard to install Canon PIXMA MG8120.You just need to follow all of the instructions until the whole process is finished.
- When the automatic wizard prompts you to insert or connect the USB cable from PIXMA MG8120 to your printer, then you will need to do so.
- Wait for the automatic wizard detects the USB cable after it is connected. When the wizard has detected the USB cable, you just need to follow the further steps.
- After few moments, you will get the finish notification. That means, your Canon PIXMA MG8120 is already installed and ready to use.
Setup / Installation Canon PIXMA MG8120 for Mac
- To begin the installation, you need first the respective file driver. So, download the file, prior, and at the time you think about the installation, trace the file that you save in particular folder. Or check your computer setting.
- Next, hit the downloaded file twice, and ensure that you mount the driver file on Disk Image.
- Afterward on the mounted Disk Image give another double click.
- And finally, apply two-time click on packaged drivel file. Just wait, since the installation will be automatically started.
That being said, depend on what platform that you use to install Canon PIXMA MG8120 ,the manual instructions for the installation and the other way around, can differ. The aforementioned installations procedures are applied on Mac and Windows 7. For Windows 8 or Windows XP, the driver file installation is pretty similar.